The Department of Interior (DOI), the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC), the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), with assistance from the World-Wide Human Geography Data Working Group (WWHGD WG) hosted the “Geospatial Platform (GeoPlatform) Workshop” on December 7-8, 2016. The purpose of the workshop was to present the implementation of the GeoPlatform and share the GeoPlatform.gov functional capabilities to the community of data stewards who produce and use governmental, academic, private, and public data to inform national and regional issues. There were presentations on the approaches underway at the GeoPlatform to improve awareness of and access to geospatial data; discussions on future development of the GeoPlatform and collaborative efforts with academia and other web-based data sharing capabilities. The objectives of the workshop were to enhance information sharing capabilities of the Federal Government by encouraging dynamic geospatial data sharing through the web-service capabilities facilitated and promoted by the GeoPlatform; provide training on how to access, use, analyze, and share geospatial data through the GeoPlatform; and enable community feedback to identify improvements for the GeoPlatform.
SYMPOSIUM AND WEBINAR HIGHLIGHTS
Day One – Webinar Presentations
- Overview of the FGDC and Role of the US National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) – Mr. Ivan DeLoatch, Executive Director, Federal Geographic Data Committee
- GeoPlatform Background – Mr. Tod Dabolt, Geographic Information Officer, US Department of the Interior
- From Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Roots to the Present – Mr. Kurt Buehler, President, Image Matters LLC
- GeoPlatform Infrastructure & Amazon Cloud Services – Mr. Gary Latzke, USGS
- AGOL Role within the GeoPlatform and Future of AGOL – Mr. Jeffrey Peters, ESRI
- Marketplace, Dataset Search, Map Viewer, Map Manager – Mr. Patrick Neal, Image Matters, LLC.; Service Dashboard, LMA Dashboard – Mr. Jeffrey Harrison, The Carbon Project; Communities, Workflow Manager – Mr. Gate Jantaraweragul, Image Matters, LLC.
- GeoPlatform Futures (Architecture and CONOPS) – Mr. Harry Niedzwiadek, Image Matters, LLC.
- GeoPlatform, What’s in Work? – Mr. John Davidson, Image Matters, LLC.
- Importance of Metadata – Ms. Jennifer Carlino, USGS
- Multinational Geospatial Co-production Program – Mr. Marzio Dellagnello, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
Day One – Webinar Audio Presentation
Day Two – Webinar Presentations
- Day Two Keynote Address – Dr. Lee Schwartz, Department of State
- Current and Future of the Geospatial Web Part 1 – Dr. Anthony Stefanidis, George Mason University (GMU)
- Current and Future of the Geospatial Web Part 2 – Dr. Andreas Zufle, GMU
- Department of Homeland Security HLS GeoCONOPS – Mr. David Lilley, DHS
- National System for Geospatial-Intelligence (NSG) Open Mapping Enclave (NOME) – Mr. Will Mortenson, NGA
- DISDI, David LaBranch, DoD
Day Two – Webinar Audio Presentation